Home » Concert Halls
The Old Town Hall
The building of this once main landmark in the city is one of the most magnificent gothic objects in metropolitan areas in Europe. Its current form is the result of architectural transformations over many centuries. It was created at the end of the 14th century, during the peak period in the city’s development. Its functionality was also unique, combining commercial, administrative, and judicial functions. Today the object belongs to the District Museum and holds in its interiors collections of Gothic art, craftwork, portraits of Polish kings, a gallery of Polish painting, Toruń coins, and extremely valuable treasures of Skrwilno and Nieszawa.
The Burghers’ Hall
The Burghers’ Hall took its name from the collection of portraits and coats of arms of Toruń’s citizens. It was the most important room of the Town Hall and on several occasions hosted royals, envoys and other important personalities. It was here that the Prussian councils gathered, as did, on three occasions, the Polish Sejm. In this room, power was passed over to Poles in 1920. These days, it still serves as a representative hall, which hosts meetings, conferences and concerts.
The Town Hall Tower
Built in 1274, it is the oldest tower of this type in Central and Eastern Europe, and the oldest part of the Town Hall. It is located at the meeting of the southern and eastern wings, and was built in the style of Flanders watchtowers. In the past it was covered with a high Gothic helmet, which proudly protruded above the city until 1703, when as a result of a Swedish attack the tower almost completely burned down. The city archive located within suffered the most, as none of it survived.
The Artus Court
The present building of the Artus Court, one of the most representative of Toruń’s Old Town, was constructed in the years 1889-1891 by Rudolf Schmidt in place of three other buildings. The original Artus Court from 1386 was the central point of social life for the richest townsmen. It was here that the Second Peace of Toruń was signed. The original building was demolished in 1802 due to its poor technical condition, and replaced in 1829 with a new, two-storey object intended as a theatre stage. It also used to be a part of the Nicolaus Copernicus University and the student club Od Nowa. Today the building still plays an essential role in the cultural and social life of the city. It is now the seat of the Artus Court Cultural Centre.
The multi-purpose concert and conference hall, the newest in Toruń, was built in 2013-2015. Officially opened on 12 December 2015, it became the new seat of the Toruń Symphony Orchestra. In 2008, out of 22 projects submitted to the international competition for a Concert Hall in Toruń, the concept by the Spanish architect Fernando Menis, the founder of the practice Menis Arquitectos SLP, was selected. The Culture and Congress Centre consists of four modules, which contain a concert hall with 882 seats, a Chamber Hall with 287 seats, conference rooms, a café, offices, and a two-storey underground car park with 185 parking spaces.
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The construction of the brick church started in 1343 by Franciscans, who arrived in the town shortly after its foundation in 1239. The monumental gothic temple, preserved to this day, is the third – or perhaps even fourth – church built in this spot. In accordance with the strict Franciscan principles, from the very start the structure had no tower, only a peak decorated with three turrets. The church is also important for the history of the Academic Gymnasium, a semi-high school associated with outstanding figures of Toruń, not only in the past. The church’s interior is dominated by monumental Gothic frescoes from the 14th century, Baroque and Rococo altarpieces, a Renaissance organ, a pulpit, and epitaphs of Toruń’s patrician families. In the presbytery, next to the Rococo high altar, there are the beautifully carved Gothic choir stalls from the first half of the 15th century, and a Baroque mausoleum of Anna Vasa of Sweden.
Cultural Centre for Young People
The building of the Cultural Centre for Young People is situated on the plot of land given to the Municipal Defence Service in 1489. The first mentions about the building date back to the late 18th century. The Concert Hall of the Centre was formerly used for training by the members of the Service. The hall is known for its original stage and balcony as well as stucco decoration of the ceiling and walls with neo-baroque motifs of acanthus leaves. Since 1952 the building has been home to the Cultural Centre for Young People, which aims to educate people receptive to the arts, prospective artists as well as active participants in social activities.
The Holy Spirit Church
The Holy Spirit Church is a late-Baroque edifice raised in mid-18th century as an Evangelical church. Its creation is closely connected with the religious unrest in 1724, as a result of which the local Lutherans lost the Church of Blessed Virgin Mary, which they previously owned. Deprived of any place of worship within the Old Town, only in 1754 did they receive a royal permit to build a humble house of prayer which was not to resemble a church in its external appearance. In two years’ time the large church of the Holy Trinity was erected on the site previously occupied by several houses. The architectural design was prepared by Effraim Schroeger, who later gained prominence as the leading architect of Polish Classicism. In accordance with the conditions set for its construction, the church did not have a tower – the one that we can see today was added at the end of the 19th century. The church was used by Protestants until 1945 when it was taken over by the Jesuits and became the so-called academic church frequented by the staff and students of the Nicolaus Copernicu University.